Haughey, Philpot & Laurent dates back to 1880 when Colonel Stephen Shannon Jewett established the firm S&S Jewett. Col. Jewett was elected a New Hampshire Representative in 1894 and ultimately earned a position as Speaker of the House. After his death in 1932, the Belknap County Bar Association a released a memorial resolution, praising Col. Jewett for his integrity, leadership skills, high ethical standards, and “tireless industry.”
In 1917, the firm became Jewett & Jewett when Col. Jewett’s son Theo entered the family practice. During his 48-year-long career, Theo served the Laconia Municipal Court (now known as the 4th Circuit-District-Division-Laconia) as an associate and presiding judge.
Stephen S. Jewett, II, joined his father Theo’s firm in 1949 after graduating from Dartmouth College and Suffolk Law School. Stephen Jewett II hired William Philpot, Jr. in 1975.
With the addition of attorneys Thomas Haughey and Stephen Laurent, HP&L was formed in 1976.
Today, over a century after Col. Jewett opened his doors, HP&L is proud to still be serving New Hampshire residents as well as out-of-state clients while adhering to the same high standards of excellence: integrity, tenacity, and dedicated service.